POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : is there a way to make a laser : Re: is there a way to make a laser Server Time
15 Aug 2024 16:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is there a way to make a laser
From: Batronyx
Date: 22 May 2002 22:18:40
Message: <3cec5180$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> I think he was referring to the amount of reflection, as
> reflection .4 or even in version 3.5 reflection{.2,.7} would
> be something far different from 100% mirror-like reflection...
>
> AFAIK it is not possible to return those, unless you use
> trace on objects, of which you have set the reflection inside
> an array. A macro could trace the object, check the reflection
> in the array, and return intersection point, surface normal, and
> reflection value.

Yeah, that makes more sense upon re-reading. <DOH!> Thanks for setting me
straight.

Let me see if I follow you correctly here; you might not need an array for a
single simple object with an explicit reflection value set in the texture, but
an array would be handy for a union/merge object and/or complex texture mapped
objects right?  If so, how might you get the values for variable reflection,
and/or the interpolated values within a pigment_pattern or image_pattern? The
eval_pigment() function in functions.inc ?

Batronyx ^"^