POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Blow up! take 3 (376kbu) : Re: Blow up! take 3 (376kbu) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 19:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blow up! take 3 (376kbu)
From: Rune
Date: 21 May 2002 09:25:06
Message: <3cea4ab2@news.povray.org>
Tony[B] wrote:
> Something about it makes me think "cartoon". It
> doesn't look volumetric. Feels very flat. Also,
> it looks a bit chunky with such big spheres, and
> little smooth, bloby transitions between them.

I don't quite follow you. I can't really see the individual spheres
myself, nor the blobby transitions you mention, and I don't think it
looks very flat.

> Dunno, at least that's the first thing that
> comes to mind. You have seen the animations by
> Henrik Jensen, right? It needs more of that
> wispy quality.

Do you mean the ones on this page:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/
He has made some impressive smoke animations, but those are completely
out of context. It is definitely not the smoke of explosions, and the
smoke is of a much smaller scale than the smoke in my animation. Since
the smoke he simulates and the smoke I simulate are of entirely
different kinds, I find myself unable to really do any comparisons
between them.

It would be very helpful if you could show me a reference image or video
clip of a real explosion to point out which things I need to change. :)

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Apr 14)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk