POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : N-body galaxy (~650 Kb bu) : Re: N-body galaxy (~650 Kb bu) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 19:30:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: N-body galaxy (~650 Kb bu)
From: James Taylor
Date: 20 May 2002 06:33:55
Message: <3ce8d113@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote in message
> Excellent.

Thanks Slime

>I'd be interested in seeing the next version from a different
> angle (not directly overhead), maybe even with the camera rotating around
> (rotation being in a different plane than the galaxy's plane).

You'll have to wait a while - I take my finals at uni this week and then I'm
going on holiday (waahoo!)

> It'd also be sweet if you used media instead of spheres, though i know
that
> would take forever to render =)

I've thought abpout that, I think it will come when the codes finished

> Why is it that the very inner ring of spheres pulse in and out?

The galaxies are treated as point masses and the stars have no explicit mass
of their own. The force calculated is just a simple 1/r^2 and if the stars
get too close the code 'pushes' them out a little hence the oscillation. In
the code there is a softening factor, which essentially states how close any
two particles can go. The problem is small values give more accurate results
but give a more pronounced oscillation, while large values gives less
accuracy and less oscillation.

jim