POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu) : Re: Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu)
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 14 May 2002 01:46:01
Message: <3ce0a499$1@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote :

> As always, it difficult to precisely visualize for my inner eye what
> something looks like from a written description, but I can give it a
> try.

    I used to open my blinds just a crack in the early morning and set some
incense under the slit of sunlight that would come through. It allowed me to
study the internal shape of a stream of smoke fairly intently. I will try to
take a photo in the morning but here is a quick mouse sketch of the shape I
mean. This would be a horizontal cross section of the stream.

    I always thought that the shape allowed the smoke to store energy in a
smooth, protected inner spiral which works well as long as there is no
turbulence, but which comes apart completely as soon as one of the shells is
breached.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'new-2.jpg' (20 KB)