POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu) : Re: Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:29:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu)
From: Rune
Date: 13 May 2002 17:12:54
Message: <3ce02c56@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> As Bill and Jaime pointed out the smoke moving straight
> upwards and getting turbulent after some way is a
> classical effect.

I'm currently rendering my attempt at that effect. :)

> When you model it mathematically this has to do with
> the characteristic length getting longer and at some
> point the flow is reaching a critical rayleigh number
> and changing from laminar to turbulent (from memory,
> not sure if totally correct).

Sure. I think I understood 50% of the above text, but that was mostly
the fill words.

I think I can still simulate the effect in my particle system, but it's
not based on any physical models... As you probably know, my system is
very simplistic.

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Apr 14)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/