POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass of water : Re: Glass of water Server Time
16 Aug 2024 00:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass of water
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 10 May 2002 12:39:45
Message: <3cdbf7d1$1@news.povray.org>
"Michael Goldshteyn" <mik### [at] wwacom> wrote in message
> Regarding space on the server, if the "owners" mind my "waste" of it, they
> will comment.

    They have -often- commented on the space issue.

> Let's end this argument

    Well, the only "argument" I have is with the people who have tried to
make this about whether post-processing is a valid method for professional
image production. That's a red herring and I have little patience for that.

    Other than that, I simply express my opinion that a povray server and a
povray images group should try to stick to povray images that can be
produced and reproduced with povray. There are computer-graphics forums for
other images. There are free web pages for those who want to display their
skill (or lack of it) with other programs. This server, with it's limited
resources that are paid for by individuals who don't like to complain,
deserves some consideration.

    If I don't say it, and it needs to be said every now and then, it's
unlikely that anyone else will until it gets way out of hand.

> I think
> this is about as minimal a change to POV produced images as necessary for
> their use in anything outside of "wow this render looks cool"

    You might think that with the number of post processed images on this
group lately (It seems to be a few newbies in the last month or so), but a
quick perusal of some povray galleries or even the past images on this
server will enlighten you. We all have a lot more to learn about PovRay and
posts of images that are "improved" with paint programs will not help that
process. Almost every change I have seen could easily have been done with
povray itself. Yes, it would have taken more time and/or skill than the
posters wanted to put into it, but it could have been done.

    Povray, by itself, is capable of producing finished works. Most of the
people who use povray (including, for the most part, myself) are not capable
of producing finished works with it. The growing few who can do that sort of
work with PovRay have my respect and I look forward to seeing their images
and learning how they did it. I already know how to adjust an image with
filters. If I need a refresher in the basics of PhotoShop, I know where to
go. If I wanted to download huge images for that purpose, I would not be
downloading a povray.images group.

    For instance, you just posted "A very interesting scene, please post the
POV source, if you don't mind." There are several recent images for which
this request would be nearly useless. The source will not produce the image.

    Posts to povray.binaries.images should be about povray images.

    Seems simple to me.