POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass of water : Re: Glass of water Server Time
16 Aug 2024 00:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass of water
From: Michael Goldshteyn
Date: 10 May 2002 10:21:56
Message: <3cdbd784$1@news.povray.org>
Regarding space on the server, if the "owners" mind my "waste" of it, they
will comment. It's their judgement call, not yours. Also, I think your
argument is moot, because it can be extended to the use of tools outside
POVRAY to prepare the scene files (i.e. Moray and other quick modeling tools
vs. hand-scripting), granted that the output would still be pure.

Let's end this argument with my take in that post-processing is allowed as
long as it does not add scene elements (i.e. flares, objects, etc...) and is
limited to color-adjustment/sharpening/contrast types of actions. I think
this is about as minimal a change to POV produced images as necessary for
their use in anything outside of "wow this render looks cool" and therefore
should be allowed on this group. I am going to predicate my statement with
my belief that the original image should always be posted along with any
post-processed image.

If the preceding is against group policy, the group owners can speak up!

Mike

"Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom> wrote in message

> "Corey Woodworth" <cdw### [at] mpinetnet> wrote :
> > Most
> > real world photos go through a lot of post processing and I see no
reason
> > why pov images couldn't benefit as well.
>
>     I don't know how many more times I can say that the issue I have
> is -not- with post processing if that is what you need to make the image
you
> want.
>
>     I have stated that -all- of my professional work has been post
processed
> in one way or another (mostly to reduce file size and/or color count). Not
> only do I get your point, I didn't need you to tell me this to get it, I
> have known it for years. If I did need some one to tell me this, the half
> dozen previous posters have already done a fine job of stating the
obvious.

>     The problem, which yet another post ignores, is that this server has
> limited space, and post processed images are not on topic. IMO. The AUP
does
> say that the purpose of this server is to support the users of povray, and
> this group is called povray.binary.images, not
povray.postprocessed.images.