POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Textures for large terrain heightfield : Re: Textures for large terrain heightfield Server Time
15 Aug 2024 18:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textures for large terrain heightfield
From: Hugo
Date: 7 May 2002 16:45:50
Message: <3cd83cfe@news.povray.org>
Hi Yadgar!

From what I understand, you want a vegetation map with fine details that
fits your heightfield, but doesn't take up too much memory. Well you could
use a grey, low resolution image map (smoothed with "interpolate 2") as a
reference map, that doesn't really contain any textures, but only a
reference to *where* you want each texture.. Although the referance map is
low resolution, I doubt it'll be a problem..

The reference map point to any textures, depending on it's brightness, so
you can paint the vegetation in a paint program..

From old days, POV has texture maps that only works with GIF input.. I found
a nicer way with POV3.5 ... here is the basics to give you the idea:

texture {
  function { pigment {
    image_map { tga "...." interpolate 2 }
  }}