POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New Phone ~ New Model : Re: New Phone ~ New Model Server Time
15 Aug 2024 18:13:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Phone ~ New Model
From: Peter Cracknell
Date: 6 May 2002 09:27:02
Message: <3cd684a6@news.povray.org>
"Thomas Lake" <tla### [at] REMOVE-THISshawca> wrote in message
> >You know you got the bug, when you get a new phone (replace any object
> here)
> >and spend the day wondering how to model it.
>
> Great job! You might want to try exporting a higher polygon count mesh
> though as I can see some faceting around the bottom of the black face
plate.

Yeah I'm re-rendering it now with a far higher polygon count - the mesh file
is huge though (3min parse not 3 seconds) and I've finally got around to
reading the radiosity manual in Pov 3.5 end to end so actually know what the
different parameters do (just randomly tweaking them was painfully slow).

> Rhino can become an addiction much like Pov, I know I'm having tones of
fun
> with it on my upcoming image! Perhaps one drawback is its almost too
> powerful, there are so many ways to get things done that you end up just
> using the first method that produces satisfactory results instead of
looking
> for the most efficient and elegant method, which would lend to better
> polygon mesh creation and make the model easier to edit in the future.

Definately - the way in which I do things is *so* different now in rhino.  I
used to build everything up from lathes and primitives, but now I build up
surfaces from curves and tweak them and trim/split them (the result of doing
a few tutorials) and I feel it gives me far more control.

Peter Cracknell