POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do I get sharp edges with a cylinder light? : Re: It is possible, but perfectly? Not so sure. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It is possible, but perfectly? Not so sure.
From: KalleK
Date: 29 Apr 2002 13:55:26
Message: <3ccd890e$1@news.povray.org>
Hi bob!

> Oh joy! Success at last. Try your scene file as changed below:

> ///begin
<*snip*>
> ///end

Thank you! That does the trick.
(now, to go on coding myscene)
A bit strange, but it works at last :-)
(as said before - maybe I will have a look into the source someday...)

> I realized when changing the falloff without considering radius that it
> could overrun the radius. This seems about what I was finding out before
but
> had long since forgotten. What's more, if you use the same numbers for
> spotlight it's rather different, until you use falloff 5 and radius 12 and
> tightness 100. Why the 4.5 in cylinder light versus 5 in spotlight? Odd
> huh...?
Well, that is a perspective thing. If you move the spotlight farther away,
the spot will enlarge. With spotlight, radius is in fact the angle and you
get a cone of light... I just tried by try and error to get the enlighted
circles somewhat the same size.

> As well as that tightness opposites, 0 not 100. This sure proves one
> thing to me, the Doc is inadequate in explaining a cylinder light source as
> compared to spotlight, as you have noted.
Yes.

> Now to reset my clock ahead to today again...
(me too... :-)

cukk