POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter. : Re: Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter. Server Time
15 Aug 2024 20:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter.
From: cadman
Date: 29 Apr 2002 10:42:15
Message: <3ccd5bc7$2@news.povray.org>
I have done that in the past with a program I wrote to convert AutoCAD
models to POV.  I used much the same method, but it got a little more
complex with rotations around the y and z axes (they have to be reversed),
and I thing I remember that lathes and prisms are very messy since they can
only be defined in 2-dimensions.  I can email code snippts if you're really
interested.  Hope this helps your cause...

"Thomas Lake" <tla### [at] REMOVE-THISshawca> wrote in message
> I'm trying to write a program that converts Moray's povray output, which
> uses the right hand coordinate system, to povray's native left handed
> system. As you can see from the images bellow I'm not quite 1/2 way there
> yet. The method I use is simply to comment out the sky and up key words in
> Moray's output thereby defaulting to povray's lefthanded system. Then for
> all vectors I switch the z and y positions. For example
>
> translate <10,-50,100>
>
> becomes
>
> translate <10,100,-50>
>
> This seems to work fine for translate and scale but rotation is a
different
> matter all together. I found a way to get rotation to work some of the
time
> by reversing the sign of the magnitude and rotating around the Z axis
before
> the y axis, so for example
>
> rotate <-28.678608, -34.926117, 42.857418>
>
> becomes
>
> rotate 28.678608*x rotate 34.926117*z rotate -42.857418*y
>
> As you can see from the image below this works for the rotated box in the
> background but not for the superellipsoid in the front. Also I get all
kinds
> of nightmarish things happening if I try to work with csg and rotation.
Can