POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb) : Re: Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Apr 2002 06:36:07
Message: <3ccd2217@news.povray.org>
Hugo wrote:
> I actually thought the wood was an image_map, since it looks so realistic!

  It's better than an image_map, but only for planar surfaces (hf),
although it can be done with isos for any shape (i.e. isowoods from
Christoph).

> Your metal texture is brilliant! How is the surroundings?

  The enviroment is a simple 5x5m room with hf-walls, a white ceil and a
checkered floor.

> To use a quilted pattern never striked me. Do you think these micro
> patterns are too slow for general purpose?

  Yes, the use of the quilted patern for this isn't very obvious. It works
well because I average multiple rotated copies. I found that simply by
using the old & good "trial&error" method with all patterns. :)

  The "micro patterns" (paterns scaled lower than pixel size) are slow, no
doubt. As with the "averaged reflections" trick, it depends on the number
of patterns averaged, but it's not so slow, as it only averages normals.
However, you need to use much higher quality settings on aa or focal blur
to get ride of the grain. So finally, it's hard to tell wich method is
slower... :(

> Do you think these special textures work in other enviroments without
> tweaking?

  Well, I'm lately trying to make things valid for any situation. For
example, this texture works with surfaces oriented in any direction (the
bolts and nuts shapes demonstrates this), because the normal averages
multiple rotations of the same "micro pattern", in the hope to face any
posible surface. For the rest of the texture, it is simply "T_Chrome_2C",
so it must work on any scene, I think.

> Btw, when you use the names "bolt-STILL" does this means you're planning
> animations?

  :) Not really... my relation with animations is view-only. I fear all the
work and organization involved on good animations (that is: I'm really
lazy). The name comes from the fact that I'm managing the idea of making it
more like a tipical "still life"... replacing the fruits with different
kinds of bolts and nuts...

  Will see, I've too many projects pending... :(

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org