POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter. : Re: Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter.
From: Thomas Lake
Date: 29 Apr 2002 04:44:45
Message: <3ccd07fd$1@news.povray.org>
>   See if John Van Sickle's "Thoroughly Useful Macros" is helpful to you.
> It's a nice collection of John's stuff at:
>
> http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/macs.htm

Thanks for the link! With his macros I was introduced to matrix transforms
and was able to solve "most" of my problems. Placing:

matrix <1,0,0, 0,0,1, 0,1,0, 0,0,0>

At the end of all the transformations in every object correctly switches the
scene from right to left handed. However the tricky part is creating a
program that knows where to place this. For example:

sphere{
    <0,0,0>,2
    scale <10,1,10>
    rotate <45,67,180>
    translate <45,12,-78>
    rotate 45*z
    matrix <1,0,0, 0,0,1, 0,1,0, 0,0,0>
}

This is easy to place but this is not:

union{
    object{
        myobject
            scale...
            rotate...
            translate...
    }
    object{
        myobject2
            scale...
            rotate...
            translate...
    }
}

Here each object should get a copy of the matrix transform However in the
following:

#declare HgtFld001 = object {
  height_field {
    tga "C:\Program Files\Moray For Windows\Maps\test - roundabout
street.tga"
    water_level 0.0
  }
  rotate    <-90, 0, 0> // Turn onto XY plane. Now points along -Z
  scale     <  2, 2,-2> // Scale to Cube size. Now points along +Z
  translate < -1,-1,-1> // Center around origin
  material {
    Dirt
  }
  scale <25.6306, 25.6306, 0.96627>
  translate  0.481242*z
matrix <1,0,0, 0,0,1, 0,1,0, 0,0,0>

}
intersection { // CSG001
  cylinder { // Cylndr001
    <0,0,1>, <0,0,0>, 1
    scale <19.211306, 19.211306, 3.194606>
    translate  -0.791182*z
matrix <1,0,0, 0,0,1, 0,1,0, 0,0,0>

  }
  object { HgtFld001 }
  material {
    Dirt
  }
}

The placement is even more tricky. Because of this I was only able to get my
program to correctly apply the matrix transformation about 60-70% of the
time. This is a little too complicated for me for now so I've decided to
give up for the time being.