POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb) : Re: Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:32:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb)
From: Hugo
Date: 28 Apr 2002 11:22:08
Message: <3ccc13a0$1@news.povray.org>
Hi James,  :o)

I actually thought the wood was an image_map, since it looks so realistic! I
also thought you used a specular map, but no?

I especially like "boltstill2" because of the cleaner look. It's a challange
these days to have *clean* CG objects that *also* looks realistic. Your
metal texture is brilliant! How is the surroundings? Empty? To use a quilted
pattern never striked me. Do you think these micro patterns are too slow for
general purpose? Obviously, render speed is the biggest limitation in todays
3D, and I doubt this will change soon.. I'm trying to gather knowledge about
the best looking, AND fastest methods.

Do you think these special textures work in other enviroments without
tweaking? I experienced this myself at my recent attemps to imitate realism.
My settings didn't look good in other scenes - and rendering almost died.
Way too slow.

Btw, when you use the names "bolt-STILL" does this means you're planning
animations? Just curious. Not that I see a big potential for animating
*these* particular scenes.

Okay, that's all.  ;o))
Regards,
Hugo