POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter. : Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Moray/Pov-Ray coordinate system converter.
From: Thomas Lake
Date: 28 Apr 2002 07:57:40
Message: <3ccbe3b4$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to write a program that converts Moray's povray output, which
uses the right hand coordinate system, to povray's native left handed
system. As you can see from the images bellow I'm not quite 1/2 way there
yet. The method I use is simply to comment out the sky and up key words in
Moray's output thereby defaulting to povray's lefthanded system. Then for
all vectors I switch the z and y positions. For example

translate <10,-50,100>

becomes

translate <10,100,-50>

This seems to work fine for translate and scale but rotation is a different
matter all together. I found a way to get rotation to work some of the time
by reversing the sign of the magnitude and rotating around the Z axis before
the y axis, so for example

rotate <-28.678608, -34.926117, 42.857418>

becomes

rotate 28.678608*x rotate 34.926117*z rotate -42.857418*y

As you can see from the image below this works for the rotated box in the
background but not for the superellipsoid in the front. Also I get all kinds
of nightmarish things happening if I try to work with csg and rotation. Can
anyone help here cause I feel like I'm close to a solution.

<SEE P.B.I under same Subject for pictures>

Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/~thomaslake/