POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb) : Re: Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some light tests with the RC (JPG 54Kb)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 28 Apr 2002 05:51:39
Message: <3ccbc62b@news.povray.org>
Hi again:

  Thanks to everyone for the compliments, tough most of the merit must be
given to the POV Team: they have done a fantastic job with 3.5.

  I finally managed to finish the 64 blur_samples version:

  http://www.ignorancia.org/images/boltstill3.jpg (124Kb)

  Anyhow, the result isn't much better. There is still some grain on the
metal, but it's mainly due to the technique used for the texture. To avoid
making a lot of replies to this thread, here a little explanation:

  + The metal texture is a simple, one-layer texture: it does not use the
nice "averaged reflections" trick. Rather, it uses an averaged pigment_map
used as normal pattern, wich mix rotated versions of a quilted pattern
scaled down very small, with some other (granite and bozo) scaled not so
small. This of course needs a lot of blur_samples or very high aa settings,
and it's slow, of course (the whole image took about 5 hours on a Athlon
1.2Ghz).

  + The wood texture it's a standard one from "woods.inc", with some
reflection added. The real trick is that it is applied to a thin
height_field done with the function image pattern. This function uses a
pigment_map of several woods and a turbulent leopard pattern. It's a bit
slow to parse for a decent hf resolution, but it traces really fast.

  + Yes, this is done entirelly with POV-Ray! Well, I used Imagemagik to
adjust a bit the contrast, but that's all.

  Appart from this, I've lied on my first post: there are 3 area_lights,
not 2 as I stated. And they are placed randomly! I suspect I'm getting
really lazy, if I use rand()+trial&error even for the lights placement!!
;)

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia