POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Buglist 22 Apr 2002 (RC2) : Re: Buglist 22 Apr 2002 (RC2) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Buglist 22 Apr 2002 (RC2)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Apr 2002 14:10:12
Message: <3cc99804@news.povray.org>
In article <3CC### [at] videotronca> , Francois Labreque
<fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:

> It appears that as the truetype font is parsed, a little error is added
> to the z component of every control point.  Since this is not reported
> with other splines or polygons*, I must assume that it is a problem with
> the code that converts the 2D set of control points of a truetype font
> to POV 3D points.

But in order to assume this you already assume that (a) text characters are
internally presented by the same primitive as other objects and (b) that
characters are converted to 3d shapes before being rendered.  Both assumptions
are incorrect.

There is no "little error is added to the z component of every control point"
as the source code (of 3.1 for you right now, but nothing changed in 3.5)
clearly shows.

As I have pointed out numerous times before, this is simply a precision error
no matter how much you or others test your "theory", looking at the "fact" -
the source code - easily proves your "theory" wrong.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.