POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Soccer! : Re: Wings3D (was Re: Soccer!) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wings3D (was Re: Soccer!)
From: Hugo
Date: 23 Apr 2002 03:41:45
Message: <3cc51039$1@news.povray.org>
> > Either I'm very clumsy or some things are still incredibly
> >  slow to model with the program.
>
> What are you having problems with?  I've been using Wings for quite a
while
> and have become fairly proficient with it.  I might be able to help you
> out.

Thanks! This post is getting old, so I don't know if you'll ever read
this... I have begun a spaceship project where a polygon modeller would be
handy (just for a few things).. And Wings3d is the best program I've
encountered because it's so easy to understand.. But.. Until now I end up
placing all vertices manually because bevel, scale and extrude makes a mess.
Yes, even if I select an origin, those commands can't guess what I want;
they don't follow my shape.. If I could "scale along edges" this would

to understand with this example:

home3.inet.tele.dk/huas/strange.wings

Try to smooth out the "hill" by adding another line of vertices. Try to
scale them, and see the mess! Any solution that doesn't require a lot of
manual work?

There are also other things I'd like to see in Wings: The ability to connect
any vertices to make a polygon. Boleean operations (ala POV's "difference
{}").. Spline extrusion.. More options to smooth a shape.. A face
decimaition algoritm.. More options to mirror things.. Bridging any two
polygons.. Make single sided objects.. Lastly, animation capabilities..

Regards,
Hugo