POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smooth patch : Re: Smooth patch Server Time
15 Aug 2024 22:28:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth patch
From: Hugo
Date: 19 Apr 2002 16:57:36
Message: <3cc084c0$1@news.povray.org>
> The problem with making a macro which works on a group of
> points rather than a grid is that more is required from the user.

Oh, I sort of hoped the opposite but maybe I haven't thought enough about
it. What about an intelligent system that connects those control points that
are closest to each other? This would lead to some mistakes, but I think I
can imagine a system where ... there's an integer after each control point,
so in case of mistake, the user modify this integer and the system tries
another connection, still with the closest points.. hmm.. No, it wouldn't
really work... :o/  Because with very few control points, sometimes they
aren't even close to each other.

Then perhaps a system that connects the points in the order, they are
specified by the user. That way, the user don't have to stick to a grid, or
even think too much about it.

I'm thinking loud here, but just in case it's an inspiration (ehm, perhaps
not... ;o)

Regards,
Hugo