POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problems with functions in beta 16 : Re: Problems with functions in beta 16 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with functions in beta 16
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Apr 2002 16:17:22
Message: <3cbf29d2@news.povray.org>
In article <3CB1B39A.3F70A85A@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> 1) The following code generates an error about recursive function calls
> (in both versions for '#declare fn_A...'):

Yes, because the detection of recursive calls has to rely on the function
name.  Due to the way declares are parsed other information to handle scope
better is not available.  Consequently this will not be fixed in 3.5 as it
requires a redesign of the POV-Ray parser (or some really ugly hacks in 3.5).
The solution for this particular bug is to not insert functions with the same
name in a function that is being declared also those are accepted by the
parser.

> 2) The following code crashes Povray during render (requires iso_csg 0.3)
> I tried to simplify this, but came across the problem mentioned above and
> therefore had difficulties making a simple example.

Where can I get "iso_csg 0.3"?

As far as the problem is concerned (which I could not verify due to the
missing file), as mentioned above the name check is not really perfect and
with some skill one can probably create a recursive function call using macros
and by exploiting various parser loopholes.  Your problem may or may not be
related to this.  I can say more once I can parse the scene...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde