POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : On Europa - on_europa.jpg (0/1) : On Europa - on_europa.jpg (0/1) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 22:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  On Europa - on_europa.jpg (0/1)
From: Blane Bizzaro
Date: 17 Apr 2002 15:43:04
Message: <3cbd2725.322354350@news.povray.org>
Somebody on one of the NASA sites was describing the surface of Europa
as probably looking like
"broken glass repaired by icy goo rising up from below". I took that
colorful comment as a POVray height_field challenge.

+-3 miles above
the surface of Europa. The distances between the light source, and the
planets as well as
planet diameters are to scale: 1 pov unit=100 kilometers. Rendered
with POVray 3.1

The shadows on Jupiter are cast by POVray, not painted on later. The
center shadow on Jupiter is the shadow of the moon we're standing on
(neato). It is night time from our viewing location but I imagine the
landscape would be pretty well lit by the light of a full Jupiter.
Ever been up to the Sierra Nevadas on a full moon lit night? It looks
like day time!

Thank you "SY" at news.povray.org for the following post...

"// Mean distance of the sun from Jupiter: 800E+6 km = 8000000E+2
units
// Sun's diameter is approx 1.4E6km = 1.4E4 = 14000 units
// use an area light to simulate the sun
light_source { <0,0,-8000000> color rgb <1,1,0.85>
               area_light x*14000, y*14000,3,3 adaptive 1 jitter
               rotate y*-30 }
//light_source { <5000000,0,-8000000> color rgb <1,1,0.85>  }

The altitude of the camera above the surface of Europa is not to
scale.

The "Milky Way" is bozo colormap pattern mapped onto a cube.

The starfield was created with Starry Night Backyard and Universe.

The night sky is fairly close to being astronomically correct for the
above
location on 01/03/2003 at approx. 18:50 UT (According to Starry Night
Backyard by SPACE.com)

Jupiter system data based on "JupSat 95 v.1.14 by
Gary Nugent
54a Landscape Park
Churchtown
Dublin 14
Ireland
http://indigo.ie/~gnugent/dnso/
gnu### [at] indigoie

Jupiter, IO, and Europa data courtesy NASA's "Welcome to the Planets"
http://jpl.nasa.gov

Location on Europa, date, time based on "Starry Night Backyard" by
SPACE.com

Enjoy!
--Blane Bizzaro