POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How can I print a vector to the screen? : Re: How can I print a vector to the screen? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I print a vector to the screen?
From: Tom Melly
Date: 15 Apr 2002 08:35:28
Message: <3cbac910@news.povray.org>
"Steve" <ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] zero-ppslocaldomain...

> a working solution for either of the problems posted above, I'd be grateful
> if someone could post an example of how to center an object.

It's worth noting that "centering an object" rarely makes sense, since most
things don't have a centre in human terms, and nothing has a centre in POV
terms. Using the bounding box is a workaround, but, for example, the centre of
an L-shaped shape, according to its bounding box, is going to be an empty area
(half way and half way along).

I realise that this isn't really an issue when thinking about a text-string, but
conceptually you can get very stuck if you think of POV objects as having a
centre (generally because, if you decide that objects have a centre, then you
expect transformations to work with those centres).