POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment : Re: Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment
From: Slime
Date: 11 Apr 2002 11:19:33
Message: <3cb5a985$1@news.povray.org>
> Well I'm not into the source code, but what about to precalculate just the
> bit of isosurface, that is currently rendering? I mean, POV-Ray renders
> pixel by pixel, line by line. For each pixel, many things has to be done,
> but it shouldn't be necessary to calculate the surface, for that pixel,
more
> than once.. I wonder if it's calculated many times, since some objects
like
> iso's takes much longer.

Sure, you can go ahead and store the information that "a ray from this point
hit the isosurface at this point", but the chances of another ray ever
hitting that same point from the same direction are extremely tiny. Even if
you did encounter another ray that passed through that point, you'd still
have to test if it hits the isosurface before it reaches that point.

Remember, we're not dealing with pixels, we're dealing with an infinite
number of points in three dimensional space.

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]