POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux Editor : Re: Linux Editor Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Editor
From: Mike Williams
Date: 11 Apr 2002 09:24:40
Message: <3cb58e98$1@news.povray.org>
news:3cb4b6c5@news.povray.org...
> TigerHawk <tig### [at] sticnet> wrote:
> > Dude chill out, the world doesn't revolve around Emacs...
>
>   But why make something that is already done (and better)?

I would say that just because Emacs can edit pov files with syntax highlight
(which I have never been able to get to work like I like) does not mean it
is better or even the best. I could set up many editors to edit pov files
but I would only be editing text with colors. I have not seen this editor in
python but I have been looking and even thanking about writing one myself
that actually knows the pov language. To automatically indent items based on
the structure of the object. Or to group the elements into a visual graph
tree for editing individual parts. Moray uses something similar to this but
does not go further. It does not need to because it uses a visual interface.
I prefer editing the pov code directly but with big scenes it can get real
confusing what is what. Emacs is a general purpose feature packed editor. It
is not targeted enough to povray to serve all of us who use povray. For
those who have used Emacs and can run it like they walk, it proves more than
capable. For the rest of use we just want something that knows povray before
we start using it. Like I mentioned I have not used this editor in python
but I am hoping it does what I want. If it does not I will continue to look
and even dabble with programming one my self. Like every thing time is the
crook in the mix.

Thanks for the conversation.

Mike Williams