POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV pipes : Re: POV pipes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV pipes
From: PoD
Date: 9 Apr 2002 10:00:50
Message: <3cb2f412$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 07:02:26 +0930, Fabien HENON wrote:

> I am writing an editor for POV that can fire up raytraces.
>
> It is written with Tkinter (a GUI for Python). I have been stuck for a
> week with a problem and can't get over it. I asked a python newsgroup,
> but they were not able to help me. I think the problem comes from the
> way POV outputs both the rendered line to the console and the raytraced
> image. After the raytrace, there is still another output about the
> stats.
>

> With the command below I can only get the credits as though I do a mere
> "x-povray". I don't get any picture.
> Is there someone out there who can tell me how POV pipes its streams?
> (pipe in, pipe out, pipe err,....)
>
> Thanks
> Here is the code
>

> cmd= "/bin/sh x-povray +i/mnt/win_c/image/pov/7.pov +w320 +h240 -f +dgt"
>
> pin,pout,perr=popen2.popen3(cmd) # three pipes are generated
> 				#  from this command
>
> pipe_out=pout.readlines()      # this is the output
>

> self.text.insert('end',pipe_out) # redirect the output to the Tkinter
> 			# application

Maybe not entirely what you want but quite some time ago, just as an
experiment, I created a named pipe for each of POV's streams and catted
each of them in a seperate xterm, then ran POV with each stream
redirected to the appropriate pipe, and it worked fine.
One xterm had warnings, one had #DEBUG etc.

--
PoD.