POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloud test "a la Colefax" : Re: Cloud test "a la Colefax" Server Time
16 Aug 2024 00:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud test "a la Colefax"
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 8 Apr 2002 10:16:33
Message: <3cb1a641$1@news.povray.org>

news: 3cb19b30@news.povray.org...
> Clever, when I saw Chris's pic I tried to do the same with spheres never
occured to me to use flat squares, guess I've been thinking
> in 3d to long.

To be frank, it dawned on me saturday night, when I realised that Chris is
using flat surfaces (usually discs) for this sort of purpose in galaxy.inc.
The main problem I had is controlling the shadowing, which is still lacking
and largely empirical.

> This is going to be a very useful technique.
Indeed. This is just a short test and I suppose that with clever math one
could obtain really amazing and flexible results (which is what Chris
intends to do I guess). It reminds me of Rune's grass texture, actually,
where complex texturing allows for 3d effects. There's a lot of untapped
potential here.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com