POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just simple scenes for testing realism : Re: Just simple scenes for testing realism Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just simple scenes for testing realism
From: Hugo
Date: 7 Apr 2002 11:03:49
Message: <3cb05fd5$2@news.povray.org>
Hi Xplo!

Thank you for the kind and useful comments! I'm going to reviel where the
photo is now: It's NUMBER FIVE as
almost everyone suspected, but apparently it was not too obvious.. It shows
that many "small" things contribute to realism and POV-Ray is surely on the
right track.

> 1. Not a photo. Sphere material seems unrealistic.

You're right. The blurred reflection trick in POV3.5 has some limits. I
haven't been able to make a good bumpy looking normal PLUS blur.. So here I
tried to have a small granite pattern, with a large blur, by mixing
functions {}.. Rendertime was a BEAST! About 14 hours on my 1 ghz AMD, but
the major slowdown happened when reflection ping-pong's between the 2
spheres.. I reduced the max_trace_level to 3 which gave a good speed-up, but
still...

> 5. Could be a photo. Extremely convincing.

Ahh, yes.. I shot this photo today from my window.. A piece of paper and two
simple objects on top.. It seems like there is still a way to go in POV-Ray.

Regards,
Hugo