POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just simple scenes for testing realism : Re: Just simple scenes for testing realism Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:12:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just simple scenes for testing realism
From: Hugo
Date: 7 Apr 2002 10:57:18
Message: <3cb05e4e@news.povray.org>
Hello Jan and thanks for your comments!

> #2: naa... white material is a bit unreal, and the
> reflecting environment of the black sphere doesn't fit

I'm surprised a little you think the black sphere looks wrong, since it
merely reflects the enviroment. But the white material is much more "dull"
and might be causing the confusion, and the black sphere doesn't really look
metallic (well some people here thinks it's a pearl).

> #5: dunno ... can't find a detail, where I would be 100%
> sure, that it is a traced one. The shadows are very
> slightly blurred, so it would be a very small arealight,
> and, it must be at a huge distance, as the shadows are
> nearly parallel... This would be very hard in a studio,
> (and I see no other reflections), but who knows...

Who knows, but you're right: The lightsource is at a huge distance.
Interesting for me that you mention the parrellel shadows because I didn't
notice this.

> #6: The Ref-Map of the "thing" doesn't fit, looks somehow
> the same as in #2, and is missing in the floor.
> IMHO, If you have the objects mirroring in the floor,
> you also have the sky there ...

Hmm, seems like a good point. But the enviroment ought to give correct
reflections, as it's made the same way as picture #2... The ground is
reflective too, but maybe not enough..

The only difference between #6 and #2 is that I added a "vignette" effect -
like a camera lens - that makes the image brighter in the middle. That
should give a better impression of a photo, though it's not a real-life
effect.

Regards,
Hugo