POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Function image type mirrored vertically : Re: Function image type mirrored vertically Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function image type mirrored vertically
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Apr 2002 16:06:46
Message: <3caf6366@news.povray.org>
In article <chr### [at] netplexaussieorg> , Christopher
James Huff <chr### [at] maccom>  wrote:

> I'm not talking about the mapping applied to the image. I'm just saying
> that people aren't going to think in the internal POV-Ray image
> coordinate system when writing a function that may or may not be used in
> an image, and they shouldn't have to.

This has nothing to do with "to think in the internal POV-Ray image coordinate
system" - see below.

> POV should compensate for the fact that a function's origin is at < 0,
> 0, 0>, and not < 0, 1, 0>, as most image file formats have it. The
> internal coordinate system of the image should be hidden from the user.

But there is no "internal coordinate system"!  The coordinate system used in
images is extremely important as otherwise images could have a random
orientation.  One simply cannot use images without defining their origin and
coordinate system.  As soon as you edit the image you are going to expose the
origin as well as the coordinate system to the user.  Without doing so editing
images would not be possible.

In conclusion the origin as well as the coordinate system are well defined in
POV-Ray and function images use this well defined coordinate system.  Sure,
this cannot fit all needs, but changing this simple and obvious origin and
coordinate system to some completely randomly choosing different origin and
coordinate system just to make it work in this one special buggy scene file is
simply unreasonable.

If you find it reasonable, fine, but I don't and given my clear and simple
reasoning I am not going to change my mind.  So we will continue to disagree
on this and any further discussion will lead nowhere.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde