POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Old 500-body-simulation : Re: Old 500-body-simulation Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:38:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old 500-body-simulation
From: Barron Gillon
Date: 4 Apr 2002 19:48:22
Message: <3cacf456$1@news.povray.org>
I jsut put together a simple gravity simulation of my own using
(gravconstant)/d^2.  There are no colisions and all the points are of the
same mass (that's why I don't need to multiply by the masses) and was having
the ame problem with stuff being shot off into space, but I found an
interesting solution.  If I only calculate the effects of gravity if the two
objects are some distance from each other, the whole thing sticks together
very nicely.  Some particles do drift off at a low velocity, but I suspect
they would come back in time.  I know this is kind of cheating, but it looks
pretty descent, a lot better than having particles shoot off into space
seemingly at random.