POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu) : Re: Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu)
From: Hugo
Date: 3 Apr 2002 14:44:39
Message: <3cab5ba7$1@news.povray.org>
It's interesting to compare these two images. I like the grass texture best,
and 15 MB counts for me in any case. But I assume you used a single, strong
lightsource for the mesh grass, which is why the shadows really show up.
This is the biggest difference in the two images. For a more natural
appearance of the mesh, the shadows need to be much more subtle. This will
increase render time. But I assume multiple lightsources or radiosity won't
change the look a lot of your grass texture ... so all in all, there's a
decision to make for every scene.

Oh and I should say "great work!" once again because I'm surprised this is
possible with a texture - even for animation!

Regards,
Hugo