POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu) : Re: Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:34:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu)
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 3 Apr 2002 11:32:40
Message: <3cab2ea8@news.povray.org>
> Your grass is very nice however I wonder how it works in real scene - with
> radosity, more light_sources, fog, media, etc. Does applying of your grass
> require complete rewrite of scene or just replacement of one type of grass
with
> another (and everything is 3d) ?
>
> ABX

for yourself. There are some drawbacks but overall it is a good effect
(perhaps it is also useful as fur texture?).
If I would have used mesh grass, 1 GB peak memory would not have been enough
because of the large area.
In my scene there is no radiosity, but photons worked as "global
illumination". The scene uses fog and absorbing media too. And as Rune
stated, it is "only" a texture.

Norbert