POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu) : Re: Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu)
From: Rune
Date: 3 Apr 2002 10:25:28
Message: <3cab1ee8@news.povray.org>

> Your grass is very nice however I wonder how it
> works in real scene - with radosity, more
> light_sources, fog, media, etc. Does applying of
> your grass require complete rewrite of scene or
> just replacement of one type of grass with another
> (and everything is 3d) ?

Multiple light_sources and radiosity shouldn't be a problem, but you the
grass is not correctly shaded in the first place. It's just a texture, so
the normal points upwards, not to all the sides like it would on real grass.
In certain lighting situations the grass will look all wrong, but in normal
daylight it should be fine.

Similarly, fog, media etc. should not be a problem, and a major rewrite
shouldn't be required. The ground that the grass is on is 3d, but the blades
of grass are not.

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Mar 19)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/