POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu) : Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:34:10 EDT (-0400)
  Comparing mesh grass with faked grass (32+20 kbu)
From: Rune
Date: 3 Apr 2002 10:05:21
Message: <3cab1a31@news.povray.org>
I used TonyB's modified version of Gilles Tran's mesh grass to compare how
mesh grass renders and looks compared to my faked grass.

Both images were rendered at 800x600 AA0.3, then scaled to half size before
posting here.

Faked texture grass:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time for parse: 0 min.  0 sec.
Time for trace: 5 min. 58 sec.
Time total:     5 min. 58 sec.
Peak memory used:  0.36 MB

Real mesh grass:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time for parse: 0 min. 10 sec.
Time for trace: 4 min.  8 sec.
Time total:     4 min. 18 sec.
Peak memory used: 15.09 MB

As you can see, my faked grass renders a bit slower. The real mesh grass
renders quicker, it doesn't use particularly much memory, and it parses in
almost no time. I expect that the fields of grass must be extremely huge
before my faked grass becomes more efficient than mesh grass...

However, my grass looks rather different than the mesh grass. It has a
softer look, which I rather like. I may be of course, that I just haven't
been able to tweak the mesh grass to look good in my scene...

Ok, I really don't know what to conclude, so I'll just let it be up to
you...

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Mar 19)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'grassreal.jpg' (33 KB) Download 'grassfaked.jpg' (21 KB)

Preview of image 'grassreal.jpg'
grassreal.jpg

Preview of image 'grassfaked.jpg'
grassfaked.jpg