POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Please help me compare some grass : Re: Please help me compare some grass Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Please help me compare some grass
From: Rune
Date: 1 Apr 2002 17:06:19
Message: <3ca8d9db@news.povray.org>
"DZ" wrote:
> Wow, that's cool! But how can suprimposed
> heightfields create the blade-like shapes?

It's actually not the superimposed heightfields that does it. One
heightfield would be enough, but then the horizon would not be fuzzy, and
that would reveal the illusion.

The trick lies in the special function used for the pigment. It, well, sort
of simulates 3d blades of grass being projected onto a 2d plane using
perspective projection. How to do that is something you know if you have the
ability to twist the concept of 3d around your little finger. Ok, just
kidding, but it's a bit difficult to explain... ;)

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Mar 19)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk