POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Please help me compare some grass : Re: Please help me compare some grass Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Please help me compare some grass
From: Rune
Date: 1 Apr 2002 15:11:13
Message: <3ca8bee1@news.povray.org>
"DZ" wrote:
> An excellent job.

Thanks!

> A quick look at the Corbis reference images reminded
> me of just how surprisingly green grass actually is

Same here. In my newer message "Some grass" which you'll find below, I've
tried making the grass a bit more saturated. Still not quite as green as in
the photos though, because that just didn't look right in this image.

> I'm sure you've run up against the biggest issue in
> creating CG grass: creating enough bejillions of
> blades to approximate nature.

Nope.

> Limitations of memory and processing time tend to
> see to it that the blades must be much sparser than
> in a real field

But the whole concept of my grass is that it's a texture, not individual
blades of grass. So I have only two objects in the scene: two copies of the
same height_field, one translated sligtly above the other.

With my method memory and processing time is absolutely no problem, no
matter how big the field of grass is. :)

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Mar 19)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk