POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Anti-aliasing : Re: Anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anti-aliasing
From: Micha Riser
Date: 1 Apr 2002 13:51:59
Message: <3ca8ac4f@news.povray.org>
Kari Kivisalo wrote:

> Currently this is the best povray can do (+a0.0 +r9). Notice
> the aliasing artefacts on the horizontal lines.
> http://luxlab.com/tmp/aa.png
>
> Rendered at 500% resolution (+a0.3 +r3), low-pass filtered
> (Gaussian 2.5 pixels) and resampled.
> http://luxlab.com/tmp/aa_hq.png
>
> I like the one with clean lines.

Looks really smooth. But I think it makes the lines also appear thicker
than they are. You get a similar result when you just 'blur' the texture in
POV-Ray and then use the normal aa method without oversizing and scaling:

pigment{gradient y
        pigment_map{
        [0 rgb 1]
        [0.41 rgb 1]
        [0.5 rgb 0.3]
        [0.59 rgb 1]
        }
}

However the bluring would have to be done dependend on the distance to
remove the artifacts in the mid-distance.

Maybe one could add a 'blur texture when far away'-feature to POV.

- Micha

--
objects.povworld.org - The POV-Ray Objects Collection
book.povworld.org    - The POV-Ray Book Project