POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : pov easter eggs (120K ??) : Re: pov easter eggs (120K ??) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:29:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov easter eggs (120K ??)
From: QuadHall
Date: 31 Mar 2002 15:32:52
Message: <3ca77274@news.povray.org>
"Yadgar" <yad### [at] tiscalinetde> wrote in message
> High!
>
> QuadHall schrieb:
>
> > here is a small version of my annual easter picture.......
> > Done with blobs and isosurfaces in MegaPOV....
>
> Aren't real eggs somewhat more stretched along the y axis?
--Yes, I think they are, but I thought they looked better "squished" a
little, personal preference
winning out over reality.

> The one in the middle looks sweet, perhaps the continents should be more
> differentiated in color...

I agree, but I only had a limited amount of time on this project.  The more
northern and southern lands would look
more realistic with increasing snow cover towards the poles.  Also, green
areas for those with heavy vegetation,
more yellowish areas for sandy deserts, etc.

 which pigment pattern did you use for the cloud media -
> or is it just another isosurface?

I cheated on the clouds.  I found a website that has infrared images from
the GOES and METEOSAT weather satellites (updated every three hours) and
used on in the IR4 band (not sure of the spectral wavelength.  I am still
trying to work up a decent pattern/function to use for clouds that takes the
coriolis effect into account and makes the different cloud types.

> See you in Khyberspace!
> Yadgar

sounds good to me.

Now that I don't have a deadline, I think I may try to divert some time from
some other things to make an "Earthy" planet macro or something.  I
especially have to fix the current fatal flaw for the land distribution--If
you could see the back of the egg, you would see an obvious
discontinuity--this is from the way I mapped the function onto the egg.  It
is simple in principle to fix--I just need to be careful not to confuse my
theta's and phi's.

I've blabbed on more than enough now.....

Quadhall