POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Please help me compare some grass : Re: Please help me compare some grass Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:11:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Please help me compare some grass
From: Tom Bates
Date: 30 Mar 2002 14:11:00
Message: <3ca60dc4@news.povray.org>
I would agree with Hugo.

Of the three, I liked #2 best.

I don't have a problem with the curvature of the grass in #'s 1 and 3, but I would
expect that larger regions of the field would have a more similar direction of the
curvature.

I'm not sure I'm being clear.  Maybe this is better:

A large region (like a few square meters) should have most of the grass bending the
same general direction.  A neighboring region could have most of the grass bending a
different direction, with a gradual shift in direction between the different regions.

Keep some randomness, of course, but less (or maybe a wider) turbulence.

The grass could even be laying down flat (from wind or rain) but it would mostly be
lying in the same general direction.

On a completely different note:

I thought that your technique was basically just "coloring" the ground to make it
look like grass.  But then I saw on the horizon of the nearby knoll (on the left)
that the grass appears to rise above the surface.  I'm just itching to have a look at
your technique.

--
Thomas Bates