POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Repeated objects and Memory : Repeated objects and Memory Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Repeated objects and Memory
From: Chris Becker
Date: 28 Mar 2002 13:08:03
Message: <3ca35c03$1@news.povray.org>
In a scene I have a rather complex object (aka tree) that I want to repeat
several times. The tree consists of about 40 branches all of which are the
same object. Now, does POV-Ray optimize in that if I use the same object
(like with #declare blah = object{ or union{) it will only create one of
those in memory and just transform and texture it?

Currently, for one tree POV-Ray states 250,000 objects, 330megs peak to
render. If I have some many repeated objects, shouldn't it be much much
less? Or I am declaring the stuff wrong?

Thanks in advance!