POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : initial_clock / final_clock behaviour : Re: initial_clock / final_clock behaviour Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: initial_clock / final_clock behaviour
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Mar 2002 03:44:41
Message: <3ca034f9@news.povray.org>
In article <3c9fbe07@news.povray.org> , "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk>
wrote:

> Calculating a constant from a variable?? Come on, this cries out for
> confusing precision errors!

No, you are completely misunderstanding how floating-point precision works.
If what you imply would be true, POV-Ray could not even work at all.

And even if it would matter, as the clock values are internally with single
precision and all declared floats are of course double precision, you probably
even gain precision by calculating them this way...

> Also, I didn't quite get, if neither start_frame and end_frame nor
> start_clock and end_clock are build in, then how do one calculate those? Or
> will start_clock and end_clock indeed be build in? I didn't quite get that
> from your reply.

You didn't read what I said:  "to drop the initial_clock and final_clock in
favor of a start_frame and end_frame"

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde