POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : initial_clock / final_clock behaviour : Re: initial_clock / final_clock behaviour Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: initial_clock / final_clock behaviour
From: Rune
Date: 25 Mar 2002 19:17:11
Message: <3c9fbe07@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> Doing this (untested, minor corrections will be necessary):
>
> initial_clock = clock - (frame_number - initial_frame) * clock_delta
> final_clock = initial_clock + (final_frame - initial_frame) * clock_delta

Calculating a constant from a variable?? Come on, this cries out for
confusing precision errors! And here, since we're not talking about
integers, it's not even possible to "correct" the result by using the int()
function.

The result will be that a value that even people familiar with precision
errors will expect to be exactly identical in every frame, may have small
but critical variations from frame to frame. I strongly advice against this
approach and ask that the initial_clock and final_clock values are available
as build-in values.

Also, I didn't quite get, if neither start_frame and end_frame nor
start_clock and end_clock are build in, then how do one calculate those? Or
will start_clock and end_clock indeed be build in? I didn't quite get that
from your reply.

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/