POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Turbulent Isosurface box? : Re: Final "Rock" Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Final "Rock"
From: Sir Charles W  Shults III
Date: 23 Mar 2002 17:38:03
Message: <3c9d03cb@news.povray.org>
I played with this idea also, but tried to create the box as a math
function.  I quickly found a solution to creating a cubic box using a simple
equation, but it uses outrageous exponents, of course.  A moments though will
show why.  However, I did not want perfect edges; rather, a rounded box will
work fine for this idea.  I just took the absolute values of x^11, y^11, and
z^11 and added them to get a very decent rounded box structure.
    Then I added a crackle function that I scaled to produce "exfoliation"
layers like real slate or shale would have, and added it to that box function
with some turbulence.  Here are a few simple images that the functions created,
using a straight brown pigment scheme.  I will go back and play with the texture
and pigment now and see what emerges.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Isobox02.jpg' (6 KB) Download 'Isobox03.jpg' (6 KB) Download 'Isobox05.jpg' (7 KB) Download 'Isobox06.jpg' (7 KB)

Preview of image 'Isobox02.jpg'
Isobox02.jpg

Preview of image 'Isobox03.jpg'
Isobox03.jpg