POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : (fwd) USS Niagara - USS-Niagara.png : Re: (fwd) USS Niagara - USS-Niagara.png Server Time
16 Aug 2024 04:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (fwd) USS Niagara - USS-Niagara.png
From: Hugo
Date: 21 Mar 2002 03:50:39
Message: <3c999edf$1@news.povray.org>
>I have been modeling with this great program for about a year now. I
>finaly decided to tackle a big project that would stretch my abilities. i
>am modelling the USS Niagara. Here is a WIP picture. Anybody
>have any ideas on painted wood textures?

Hi Tim, welcome here! Nice to see your project. Actually I have been using
Povray for 5 years, but a project like yours would still be a big challange
for me! As for the painted wood ... there are many possibilities.

You could have 2 layered textures. One wood, one paint. That way, the paint
could be imperfect by not covering the wood everywhere. This would be
realistic, but shouldn't be exaggerated. The paint could be shiny (have
specular reflection) but not the wood, of course.

There are some great bitmap textures (images) on the net that simulates wood
and paint. If you decide to use some of them, you will need to apply the
textures individually to each object (almost).. Because they can't easily be
wrapped around shapes, as you probably know, they are instead projected onto
shapes, normally, like a ... oh no, I can't find the english word for it...
a device that projects images on a wall.. With procedural textures however
this might be easier.

Some things depend on what level of detail you desire. If you want to use
height_fields, it will be mostly beneficial at close up's.. Otherwise I
recommend that you concentrate on the textures, and less on very detailed
modelling (like having height_fields, rounded edges, real surface
displacement / dents .. you don't have any of this yet) And by the way,
don't forget to add some dirt especially outside the ship where the water
touch it, and some small green stuff at places .. but not too much unless
it's a wreck.  :o)

Well, these were some general thoughts of mine, hope you can use some of
them.. I'm looking forward to see the project goes on!

Regards,
Hugo