POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle city mark 3 : Re: Crackle city mark 3 - 640 x 480ish Server Time
16 Aug 2024 12:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle city mark 3 - 640 x 480ish
From: Tek
Date: 19 Mar 2002 16:19:48
Message: <3c97ab74$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
news:3C9### [at] gmxde...
> I have said this previously, but it would surely be a good idea to try a
> different technique for the buildings.  The render time would be much
> lower.

You're right. But I don't know the formula/algorithm for crackle with metric 1.
A discrete approximation would be possible, but it would lose the sharp corners
(see my conversation with DJ).

Besides, it isn't the isosurface that's caused the slow down: The slow bit of
the image is the ground, which is non-reflective and so actually has less
ray-isosurface intersections per pixel than the buildings. The problem is mostly
the photons, which (AFAIK) only compute isosurface intersections during
initialisation. It's just the lighting calculations are taking ages. This isn't
helped by the noisy tarmac texture (so lots of extra rays for anti-aliasing).

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com