POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle city mark 3 : Re: Crackle city mark 3 Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle city mark 3
From: Tek
Date: 19 Mar 2002 15:47:14
Message: <3c97a3d2$2@news.povray.org>
DJ Wiza <Kil### [at] TRIMBRAKESyahoocom> wrote in message
> The best optimization would probably work by creating a mesh instead of tons
> of objects.  However, I'm not sure how to do this.  I would probably first
> create a 3D array of booleans, each specifying whether or not the object
> exists at that point.  Then I'd have to cycle through and run tests to find
> edges of the object and create triangles.  That's the hard part.

Basically what you're talking about is using something like the marching cubes
algorithm to fit a mesh to a discretely sampled space. Which is okay but it
wouldn't be great at getting the corners of the buildings.

I reckon there has to be some way of solving it... though I have no idea what
the formula for a metric of 1 is! (that's what gives the buildings such an
interesting shape)

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com