POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Desert Landscape take 2 (99kbu) : Re: Desert Landscape take 2 (99kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 04:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Desert Landscape take 2 (99kbu)
From: Rune
Date: 16 Mar 2002 19:00:14
Message: <3c93dc8e@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" wrote:
> It looks nice i think, how did you create the heightfield?

It's made from a function. The function basically consists of several
clipped f_noise3d funtions added together, and with a f_ridged_mf function
and some additional noise added too.

> The medium range mountains seem a bit smooth to me, probably
> because the heightfield resolution is limited.

I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. I think myself that the ones on
the right look better than the ones on the left, due to the direction from
where the light is coming. Due to the strong contrasts on the right ones,
they get a lot of depth, which looks cool IMO.

> There will be a problem BTW: As soon as 'Al' walks in the
> foreground his shadow will reveal the trick with the normal. ;-)

Huh? I don't use very big normal patterns, so there shouldn't be much of a
problem.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)