POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Wave photons? : Re: Wave photons? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wave photons?
From: RAY
Date: 16 Mar 2002 12:51:14
Message: <3c938612$1@news.povray.org>
> > Would it be possible to simulate photons with the wave model of light?
>
>   It would be quite difficult and heavy to simulate. Analytically it would
> be probably impossible, and even numerically it would probably require
quite
> a lot of calculations.
>
> > Also, are there any
> > physical situations where light acts as a particle?
I meant to say visible.
>   For the effects which photons are used for, ie. caustics, it doesn't
> matter how you model it. The result will be the same. Modelling them as
> particles, that is, as rays, is just a lot easier and faster.
>
>   The situations where light acts like particles are such that they are
> not visible to the eye and thus not useful in practice. One such situation
> is when a photon can collide with a free electron, deviating its course
> (I don't remember the name of this effect).
>   There are situations where the wave-nature of light is visible to the
> naked eye, for example some interference effects. However, as I said, this
> is just too difficult to model and seldom useful as well.
So there are no visible reasons for POV to calculate photons as particles,
as waves are more realistic for photons?
    I have found equasions for the wave aspect of light, with some functions
out of a Calculus/Physics book you can calculate photons with light's wave
aspect, correct?