POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More wormhole activity in your area (WIP) : Re: More wormhole activity in your area (WIP) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:11:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More wormhole activity in your area (WIP)
From: Sir Charles W  Shults III
Date: 13 Mar 2002 22:43:19
Message: <3c901c57$1@news.povray.org>
Yeah, good point about the lighting- I think I will save that dragon for
last, so I can still get reasonable speeds as I continue to add details.
And texturing is still in the formative stage; I find that if I get my
objects made first, then I can tweak the include files and make them nicer
once I have the environment together.  Maybe that's sort of backwards, but
it works for me.  Adding the conduits helped a lot, and next will be some
big electrical boxes, etc.  Maybe throw in a fire extinguisher, just for
verisimilitude.
    The keypad buttons turned out to be very simple- superellipsoid with the
top shallowly trimmed by a large sphere.  In fact, this is all CSG with no
lathes, SORs, or anything more complex than the superellipsoids.  The
toughest thing so far was getting the conduit to look right.  That dull
metal look was elusive under this lighting for some reason, but very
informative as a learning experience.
    The keypad displays turned out to be simple- dark red with
transmittance, of course, and the displays are just text objects with a high
ambient value.
    Thanks to everyone who has made useful comments so far; I will continue
to develop this into something significant (translate: pretty).

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip