POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [doc] language basics in quick ref : Re: [doc] language basics in quick ref Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [doc] language basics in quick ref
From: Robert Chaffe
Date: 13 Mar 2002 21:30:23
Message: <3c900b3f@news.povray.org>

> > > 10.1.3.1  Floats
> > >
> > >   says that NUMERIC_EXPRESSION can be VECTOR.DOT_ITEM
> > >   where DOT_ITEM is x|y|z|t|u|v|red|green|blue|filter|transmit|gray|hf
> > >   while #warning str(<1,2,3,4,5>.hf,0,-1) works for all dot items except hf
> > >   (I suppose .hf is valid only inside user defined functions)
> >
> > I have added one of my peach colored notes below the DOT_ITEM syntax:
> >    The  hf  item may be used only in a user-defined function.
>
> This is not end of the problem. AFAIK .x .y .z and rest of operators cannot be
> used on typical vector expression inside user defined function. So my
> proposition is something like this:
>
> in Float Expressions:
>
> NUMERIC_EXPRESSION: (....) | VECTOR.DOT_ITEM | (....)
>
> DOT_ITEM: x|y|z|t|u|v|red|green|blue|filter|transmit|gray (hf excluded)
>
> in User-Defined Functions:
>
> EXPRESSION: (....) | VECTOR_FUNCTION_INVOCATION.FN_DOT_ITEM |
> COLOR_FUNCTION_INVOCATION.FN_DOT_ITEM | (...)
>
> FN_DOT_ITEM: DOT_ITEM | hf
>
> To the team - is this corect ?

I like that better anyway.  In the Float Expressions section I have removed the  hf
from DOT_ITEM and removed my item note.
The EXPRESSION in the User-Defined Functions section has been modified as suggested
above, and the new FN_DOT_ITEM has been
added as well.

Robert Chaffe
http://www.donovansweb.com/~chaffe/